Frank died on his way to war

1915 – PRIVATE FRANK CURRAN died before he could make it to World War I, but the Catholic priest who anointed him as he died proclaimed him “as big a hero as if he had died in the trenches”.

The second son of the Coonabarabran postmaster, Frank was only 19.

According to his enlistment records, he was five foot three-and-a-half inches (161cm), had a ruddy complexion with hazel eyes, brown hair and was a Roman Catholic.

Armed with his father’s consent, he had left his rural central NSW home, along with three other sons of the region – George Douglas, Claude Nelson, and Jack Loudon – to enlist at Liverpool training camp.

Liverpool, 30 km west of Sydney, was the main camp for the reception and basic training of recruits for the AIF in New South Wales during World War 1. It housed about 6000 men when Curran arrived in late July, but by September, there were nearly 17,000 living there.

At the training camp the boys underwent health checks and were vaccinated, after which Frank developed a cold. He seemed to be getting better until the morning of Monday, August 15, when he complained to his mate that he felt unwell.

The doctor felt he was ill enough to put him under observation, but the following morning he lost consciousness and was taken to hospital.

He died on the Wednesday, a little more than a fortnight after he had arrived.

His father had been sent for the day before, and arrived before he died, but did not see his son conscious again. Frank’s death certificate ascribes his demise to cerebro-spinal meningitis.

On the night of his death Father O’Brien, speaking to Curran’s fellow soldiers in the Catholic military tent at Liverpool Camp,  held him up as an example to follow.

 He explained the beautiful holy death he had, and proclaimed him as big a hero as if he had died in the trenches.

The Light Horse Band accompanied a funeral procession to Liverpool Station, from whence he was taken to Gunnedah, given another funeral, and then taken to Coonabarabran.

There, his local Reverend Father parker paid a glowing tribute to his memory.

“A few weeks ago, we were all in admiration of the  noble example and self-sacrificing spirit displayed by Frank Curran, who left home, relatives and friends under the standard of  justice and freedom to prepare himself to fight the battle of natural and national rights.

Today we are gathered around his silent grave, and if we listen we seem to  hear a message more touching and more eloquent than would be possible to utter by the  most fervent patriot. That message was not to falter.

Reverend Parker at Curran’s graveside
Images: Sharyn Moodie

A squad of riflemen fired three volleys, and the Last Post was sounded.

Sources: Freeman’s Journal, Thursday 9 September 1915 p 21

The Daily Telegraph Tuesday 24 August 1915 p 5

National Australia Archives at

NSW State Archives and Records at

Coonabababran, NSW

Published by Sharyn Moodie

Travelling around Australia for work, I've found so many amazing headstones. But what is more amazing is the stories behind some of these deaths, and the way newspapers of the day reported them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: